Google Earth Help
Following is a list of helpful explanatory information and hints for using Google Earth to display the Places portal datasets.
- To obtain and install the free Google Earth application on your computer, click here.
- Verify that Google Earth is assigned as the default application for Keyhole Markup Language (*.kml, *.kmz) file types. Consult your operating system help utility for assistance.
- Selecting a geographic information category link from the Places portal downloads a *.kml data file to your computer. The file contains map presentation instructions for Google Earth.
- Display a successfully downloaded *.kml file in Google Earth by double clicking its icon.
- Most modern web browsers can be configured to automatically start Google Earth and load *.kml/*.kmz files. Consult your browser help utility for assistance.
- A geographic information category dataset displayed via Google Earth presents the information in a window with two panes: (1) a right pane displaying a satellite map with navigation controls and graphic overlays and (2) a left pane containing search, layer configuration and places data set selection trees.
- The displayed map is zoomed to Northampton County, NC. Use the map pane navigation control to scroll/zoom the map view.
- Use the expand/collapse places data selection tree folder controls to show/hide selection tree place items and use the place item checkboxes to display or hide place items graphics overlays on the map pane.
- For additional assistance in configuring and using Google Earth, consult its help utility via the application menu Help link.
©2010-2016 Kenneth Wayne Odom, Jr.
, Thomas Elder Davis
, the NCGenWeb, Inc. and/or individual contributors. No portion of any document appearing on this site may be used for other than personal research. Any republication or reposting is expressly forbidden without the written consent of the owner. Last updated 10 Jan 2016.